1/12/15

In December, Drinkin Horchata

 *sings "Horchata" by Vampire Weekend* 
So, first of all, I'd just like to point out that I didn't even know what Horchata was until very recently. Well, I knew it was a Mexican drink with cinnamon in it, but that's about it. However, I do know lots about the song Horchata. So, in honor of Vampire Weekend, I spontaneously decided to figure out how to make horchata last night, and I'm so glad I did. It's one of the yummiest drinks I've had in a while, and it is so simple to make. Stick around and I'll teach ya how. 

One cool thing is that it hardly has many ingredients at all, just non-dairy milk, sugar, cinnamon, rice, and water. All things I had in my house already. 



You can use cinnamon sticks or just ground cinnamon, which is what I used. 


Ingredients: 
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked rice (jasmine tastes the best) 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp ground cinnamon/3 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 cups non-dairy milk
Directions: 

  •   Put 2 cups of water and all of the rice into a blender, and blend until all the rice is broken up. 
  • Next, put the water and rice into a larger container (like a jar or pitcher) and add the cinnamon, and other 4 cups of water. 
It should look something like this.
  • This is the most difficult part. Put the mixture into the fridge and let it sit for at least for hours. That's exactly how long I let mine sit, but overnight is fine as well. 
  • Now it's time to finish the horchata up! Take a fine mesh sieve, cheese cloth, or very fine filter of some sort, and drain as much liquid out of the mixture as possible, leaving the rice and water separated. Basically, what you have made so far is rice milk. 
  • Pour the milk and sugar in with the rice milk, and mix it up for a while, until the sugar is dissolved. 
  • Now it's ready to serve! It's most commonly poured over ice to serve.




P.S. if you want to here the Vampire Weekend song click here. :)










1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm....that sounds really good. You'll have to make me some. I love the picture of the cinnamon sticks.
    Your Hipster M

    ReplyDelete