7/24/15

arting outcomes + growing souls

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it."   - Kurt Vonnegut


This week I have been neglecting my blog, which I'm not proud of, but I've also been neglecting my phone way more than usual, and I am proud of that. I've spent every day this week on a college campus, in an art studio at a figure drawing class, among only four other students. It's definitely been one of, if not the best, week of this entire summer so far, and it was a bittersweet ending when I had to leave. It made me excited and motivated to make more art, especially now that drawing the human figure comes more naturally. But I also had a great teacher, and a great group of teenagers in the class, so that always makes leaving difficult. 

But life goes on, and now I have all of these sketches to show from it. During the class, we drew on large pieces of newsprint and sketching paper on easels-which is something I wasn't used to. Every single drawing, since it was a figure drawing class, was done from a live model, and I wasn't used to that. Even the students got to take turns modeling, and I learned that 12 minutes can feel like an eternity. 
None of these are pieces that I spent a whole lot of time on, since they were all timed, but they were fun to create, and pushed me past my limits. 



(above) This is the only one not done on an easel. Instead, it was done on table paper as a warm up. 

noel
andrew 
reclining teacher

helena 2.0

           
maelyn
maelyn 2.0

         
timur
sitting teacher 
sitting teacher 2.0
I',m putting this one in so that maybe you can recognize who each drawing is of. 


I hope to take loads more art classes in the future, because not only do art classes help me practice art, they help my soul grow (as Kurt Vonnegut says) and I get to meet awesome people like the ones above.

2 comments:

  1. HIP! HIP! HOORAY!!! YOU did an AWESOME job sweets!!! KEEP IT UP!!! XOXOXOX ps. HI! to everyone and the fuzzy wuzzies!!!Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've chronicled your time in Pittsburgh really well, India.. I'm sure now that you're back in Virginia, it's so good to be back with friends and looking forward to high school.

    ReplyDelete