8/9/15

Influential Neighbors


Ramona, Alice, and Jade







Ellen 


Before we moved back to Virginia, my family and I lived extremely close to 91 year old Alice. She lives there by herself, aside from the frequent visit from her daughter, Ellen. My family became very close with the two of them, and saw them nearly everyday. We didn't expect to at first, but Alice's constant smiling and laughing made her so enjoyable to be around, and Ellen is so intelligent, yet she talked to my brother and me as if we were adults. 
Alice and my brother developed a special relationship, one that most 11 year olds don't get to experience. He provided her with her first ever Squash Blossom, from his garden, and she taught him simple but important things in life. She also was very close with our dog, Ramona. 
We played long scrabble games at night with Ellen, working to expand our vocabulary. But new words weren't the only things we learned from our summer with Alice and Ellen. 
It was one of those situations where Eleanor Roosevelt's quote "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people," came into play quite often, and the great minds part applied to us. My brother and I were both very influenced by each time we spent with Ellen and Alice, hearing stories from their lives, and making plans for our own. Sitting with my friends, on our phones, and discussing what so-and-so was wearing wasn't at all appealing to me, even less than it used to be. We wanted to learn, we were eager to learn. And just to live, and experience things. 
Ellen and Alice were the hardest part to leave in Pittsburgh, but we've been corresponding by email, and we're visiting them at their cousin's house tomorrow, which we are all highly looking forward too.  
I hope one day I can influence people in my life the way that they were able to influence me. 

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing, India ... I'm sure it was really bittersweet to leave Pittsburgh, but at the same time so good to be back in Virginia. Such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenfur! You're too sweet. You're exactly right. I'm sorry you haven't gotten your buttons yet-they will be in the mail VERY soon. xoxo

      Delete
  2. India, THIS is so special. You know how many of us love your mother in more ways than one...you are ONE WITH WHAT'S IMPORTANT on your journey. You have made such a wonderful inspiring start in your young life (I am 67 hahaha). what an endearing IMPORTANT post. THANK YOU XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bow-WOW! That's that lil pup Ramona?!!! Sweet Pics, all of them!

    ReplyDelete